Amazon recently released their “100 Best Books of 2014” and, sadly, not a single music-related book, biography or memoir was on that list. And it wasn’t for lack of choices – trust us: 2014 has offered up a bounty of unique and fantastic reads for the music lover.
Here are 10 (in no particular order) that we think could have — and should have — made Amazon’s cut.
1. The Youngs: The Brothers Who Built AC/DC by Jesse Fink
2. Brothas Be, Yo Like George, Ain't That Funkin' Kinda Hard on You?: A Memoir
by George Clinton
3. Joni Mitchell: In Her Own Words by Malka Marom
4. There Goes Gravity: A Life in Rock and Roll by Lisa Robinson
5. Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys: A Memoir by Viv Albertine
6. I'll Take You There: Mavis Staples, the Staple Singers, and the March up Freedom's Highway
by Greg Kot
7. Johnny Cash: The Life by Robert Hilburn
8. The History of Rock and Roll in Ten Songs by Greil Marcus
9. A Man Called Destruction: The Life and Music of Alex Chilton, From Box Tops to Big Star
to Backdoor Man by Holly George-Warren
10. Please Be with Me: A Song for My Father, Duane Allman by Galadrielle Allman